The Father Involvement Research Alliance is hosted by the University of Guelph and as such this policy adheres to the guidelines set up by the University for the use of information collected throughout the course of FIRA research activities and through the FIRA web-site. FIRA is committed to protecting the privacy of those who participate in FIRA research projects and who access or contribute to the FIRA web-site.
FIRA defines personal information as follows:
- information related to the race, ancestry, place of origin, colour, ethnic origin, citizenship, creed, sex, sexual orientation, age, marital status, same-sex partnership status, family status or disability.
- information relating to the educational, medical, psychiatric, psychological, criminal, or employment history of the individual or about financial transactions involving the individual;
- any identifying number, symbol, or other identifier assigned to the individual;
- the home address or telephone number of the individual;
- correspondence or other communications received from the individual that is implicitly or explicitly confidential, and replies that would reveal the contents of the original communications;
- the views or opinions of another person about the individual;
- the individual's name where it appears with other personal information relating to the individual or where the disclosure of the name would reveal other personal information about the individual.
FIRA will collect and record only such personal information as is either reasonably necessary to the proper administration of FIRA research projects and website access and contributions. The collection, use and disclosure of personal information is subject to the principle of informed consent which requires that the purpose of the collection, use and disclosure of the information be reasonable and that it be known by the individual who is the subject of the information. In accordance with this principle, FIRA will not use or disclose personal information in its custody or under its control, except:
- where the person to whom the information relates has identified that information in particular and has consented to its use and/or disclosure;
- for the purpose for which it was obtained or compiled or for a consistent purpose;
- for the compilation of aggregate data;
- to a researcher/employee of FIRA or CFWW who needs the information in the performance of his/her duties;
- in other circumstances, where the use and/or disclosure of the information is necessary and proper in the discharge of FIRA and the University's functions and responsibilities;
- for the purpose of complying with a requirement to provide information lawfully imposed in the University by a federal or provincial governmental authority;
- where, pursuant to a court order or other legal means of compulsion, disclosure is to a law enforcement agency or institution in Canada;
- in compelling circumstances affecting the health or safety of an individual, if, upon disclosure, notification thereof is mailed to the last known address of the individual to whom the information relates;
Questions with respect to this policy should be directed to Father Involvement Research Alliance, at the Centre for Families, Work and Wellbeing, 17 University Ave E., Guelph, ON, 519-824-4120 X58027 FIRA@uoguelph.ca.